Enjoy Life as A Student. Believe it or not, you’re going to miss it when you’re back to the workforce. Enjoy your two, probably last, years in school and learn as much as you can.
- Get Down to Case Competitions. To my experience, this is the best way to perfect your problem-solving skill and to overcome your fear of public speaking.
- Think Outside The Box To Get Connected. All of us want to get to our dream job after B-School. Start early, network, and get connected to the right people.
- Explore and Contribute. Find out ways how you can contribute to the society and help them to get a better life. Participate in volunteer trips and provide the people with “Business 101 Survival Skills”.
- Make Full Use of iCal and Google Calendar. Life in B-School can be pretty hectic with assignments deadlines, project meetings, and networking events. Prioritize and create to-do lists on your calendar to keep track of your crazy schedule.
- Look Out for Student Discounts. Best part of being a student: Claim your student discounts at the bookstore, Amazon Prime, free software for students, and many other things.
- Study Hard, Play Hard. Studying is important. But while business school might only last for two years, friendships last forever. Attend social events with your classmates and enjoy life while the night is still young.
- Keep Your Wallet Tight. Business school can be quite an expensive venture sometimes. Make sure you put aside some fund to play it safe. You’ll realize how much you miss your paycheck.
- Don’t Miss Out on Study Abroad. Go and see the world. You’ll be amazed on how other countries do their business differently. (I went to Israel last Spring, look out for my blog in November.)
- Get Going with Morning Yoga. You need the most of your energy while in B-School. If you’ve never tried yoga before in your life, give it a shot, and you’ll soon get addicted on how it gives you an extra boost for the week!
Maria Myrna Handoko
Forté Fellow and MBA Candidate 2014
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign